This has become my go-to weeknight indulgence for when I’ve had a long tiring day at work and just want the ultimate comfort food! As with a lot of the best recipes, it’s been adapted and changed each time we’ve made it… but I think we’ve finally come up with the best and tastiest version!
It is very similar to a traditional Italian chicken parmigiana, with a few little additional twists. Though I also like to think of it as pizza chicken! If you think about it, it has all the tasty bits of pizza - the perfectly seasoned tomato base, crispy mozzarella, chorizo and spices to add a little kick - but is all placed on top of chicken instead of dough for that extra protein boost.
The great thing about this meal is that it’s so filling on its own (super if you’re trying to cut down on post-dinner snacking), though it does go well with any variety of salad or vegetables. Try spirallizing some courgette and carrots before quickly stir-frying in a little soy sauce to serve with the chicken, or go indulgent and make some super-crispy sweet potato chips to add even more of a comfort food vibe!
Feel free to vary the recipe to your own taste and let us know what you think works well! As always tag us @andrahealth and #andrarecipes so that we can see your versions!
Makes: 4 servings
Time to Make: 45- 60 minutes
Difficulty rating: Easy - Medium
4 Large Tomatoes (or 350g Cherry Tomatoes)
1 Large Onion
2 Garlic Cloves
4 Chicken Breasts
1/2 Tin Chopped Tomatoes (or Arrabbiata Sauce)
Olive Oil For Frying
Seasoning: Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Thyme (Fresh or Dried)
- Preheat the oven to 180 fan.
- Chop the onion, garlic, tomatoes and chorizo. Fry the onion until softening, then add the tomatoes, garlic and chorizo.
- Use a rolling pin and some cling film to flatten the chicken breasts slightly. Beat the egg in a shallow bowl and mix the parmesan and breadcrumbs together in a separate bowl.
- Dip each chicken breast in the egg before rolling in the breadcrumb and parmesan mixture - repeat if necessary. Fry in a separate pan over a medium-high heat until turning golden. Then transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- To prepare first spread a layer of the tinned tomatoes in the bottom of an ovenproof dish, then top with the chicken. Season the tomato and onion mixture, then spread over the chicken. Top with mozzarella slices and sprinkle with any leftover breadcrumb and parmesan mix.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and everything is piping hot.